WHAT IS IT?
Botox and Dysport are botulinum toxin products used to treat frown lines and wrinkles between the eyebrows, the forehead and around the eyes. It also treats chin creases, horizontal neck lines and wrinkles around the mouth.
- Crow’s feet
- Forehead furrows
- Frown lines
- Skin bands on the neck
- Masseter muscles
- Enlarged pores
- Chin dimpling
HOW IT WORKS
Botulinum toxin is a purified substance derived from bacteria. The injection of botulinum enables the muscle to relax by blocking nerve signals or chemicals that tell muscles to contract. The result is skin that appears smoother (and with less fine lines and wrinkles).
RESULTS & RECOVERY
Results begin to be noticeable in a few days but can take up to two weeks for full effect. Results typically last 3-4 months. Procedures generally last around 15 minutes, and no anesthesia is required. You can get back to your routine immediately. Restrictions after injection consist of withholding from excessive sweating for the remainder of the day. You will also need to avoid deep massage of the injected areas, as the Botox can spread to another area of your face and cause temporary facial weakness or drooping.
Things to know
- It’s safe. It’s extremely rare to see a complication from Botox/Dysport that has been related to distant spread effect (affecting a distant muscle) when given at the proper dosages. (If you have had a dropped brow with past injections, always mention that during your initial consultation. There are muscles that will be avoided for that not to happen.)
- It’s temporary. If it’s your first time considering injections, it can be reassuring to know the effect won’t last without reinjection every 3-4 months.
- It’s not necessary to look frozen. There is a misconception that Botox will create a frozen appearance. Correct dosing at the right times will result in a softened and refreshed look without looking overdone. There is no need to relax the muscles to the point of no movement. The purpose is to relax the muscle so its movement doesn’t create a wrinkle in motion, which can then turn into a wrinkle at rest.
- Botox/Dysport are given with the tiniest of needles. Bruising is typically not an issue.
- Botox/Dysport is often combined with other cosmetic skin procedures as part of a customized treatment plan. Chemical peels, dermal fillers or microdermabrasion can further improve your results and help prevent new lines and wrinkles.
FACTS ABOUT BOTOX
Botulinum toxin injections (e.g., Botox, Dysport) are the most commonly performed facial rejuvenation procedure in the U.S. In 2015, 6.7 million Botox procedures were performed, up 759 percent since 2000, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Botox has been found to treat true medical conditions (outside of facial wrinkles) such as spastic bladder, migraines and spasms of the eyelid.
Often, children receive Botox for what we call “therapeutic” indications, around 400 units at any one given time. For most of us receiving Botox for our wrinkles, the typical dose is 20-70 units, far less than what is given for therapeutic indications.