Most men enter the world of aesthetics in two ways:
- Botox – Botox gives men a cutting edge in the competitive workplace by creating a youthful appearance through softening wrinkles around the eyes or forehead.
- Kybella – Kybella creates a more chiseled chin and jawline, which is another masculine identifier. No man wants a double chin; they prefer a strong and defined neckline.
- Jaw line
HOW IT WORKS
Botox (a botulinum toxin) is a purified substance derived from bacteria. The injection of Botulinum enables the muscle to relax by blocking nerve signals or chemicals that tell muscles to contract. The result is skin that appears smoother.
Kybella is the first and only FDA-approved injectable treatment to reduce fat under the chin. It’s made of a synthetic deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When Kybella is injected into fat, it works by destroying the cell membrane to release the fat. The body then flushes the fat out of the treated area and skin retraction occurs.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Injecting Botox in a man is different than a female because: 1. most males require more Botox to relax stronger facial muscles. 2. A masculine brow is a low, flat brow. Using Botox to prevent a highly arched, female brow is important.
Kybella is the newest and most up-and-coming way to enter the aesthetics world, and it’s one of the few that has lasting results. It actually dissolves the fat and disables those cells from ever storing or accumulating fat again, so further treatment isn’t needed once the goal is achieved.
Other treatments that appeal to men:
- Botox for excessive sweating under the arms or palms of hands
- A Voluma dermal filler to create a more dominant chin appearance. A small amount of dermal filler like Restylane under their eyes for that sunken appearance.
Results for Botox begin to be noticeable in a few days but can take up to a week for full effect. Results typically last 3-4 months.
Typically, 3-4 treatment sessions of Kybella are required, 4-8 weeks apart. The best candidate is someone who is less than 50 years of age and has good skin elasticity. Once the fat is destroyed, it will not come back into the treated area again, so it lasts a lifetime.
Botox procedures generally last around 15 minutes, and no anesthesia is required. You can get back to your routine immediately. The only word of caution is to not rub or massage the injected areas, as the Botox can spread to another area of your face and cause temporary facial weakness or drooping.
There is some swelling that goes along with Kybella treatment. However, it’s completely manageable. You will notice the swelling for a few days up to a week.
FACTS ABOUT MEN’S AESTHETICS
- 67% people surveyed say they are bothered by fat beneath their chin (American Society for Dermatologic Surgery).
- The number of cosmetic procedures performed among men has increased over 325% from 1997 (American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery).
- Botulinum Toxin has been the #1 nonsurgical procedure since 2000 (American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery).
- In 2015, 6.7 million Botox procedures were performed, up 759 percent since 2000, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.